Rehoboth Avenue Reino Meter Failures (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)

These are the Reino multiple-space meters on Rehoboth Avenue which were reported with problems this past weekend.

Typically the meters are quickly repaired by a meter technician. But some meters are requiring service on a repeated basis. A few problems were maliciously caused (two cases were reported of sticky quarters), others are operator error. But the bulk of those listed below were meter-generated error codes which put the meter out of service.

“ I ” Reinos are on the center island and the “ R ” meters are along the north and south sidewalks. Each is marked with an ID label on the rear. The odd numbers are on the north, and even on the south. The meter number increases as the meters go west.

I-3 was out of service twice on Sunday, and fixed each time.

I-6 went out of service and repaired within 30 minutes on Sunday.

I-8 worked ok, but clock was an hour ahead and wouldn't accept payment past 11 p.m.

I-10 went out of service on Sunday around 6 p.m.

I-102 was out of service at 10:25 a.m. Sunday and reset 20 minutes later.

I-104 was out of service around 5 p.m. on Sunday.

I-105 went out of service around 11:30 a.m. Saturday and repaired.

I-108 had sticky quarters Friday evening, but was soon fixed.

I-203 had service problems on Saturday and Sunday.

I-209 was out of service around 7:45 p.m. Sunday.

R-1 was taking quarters but not counting on Saturday.

R-2 had repeated problems Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

R-4 would not accept coins on Saturday.

R-10 was out of service around 6 p.m. Sunday.

R-100 went out of service around 5:40 p.m. Sunday.

R-101 was out of service around 4:30 p.m. Sunday.

R-102 had complaints on Saturday and Sunday that it was not accepting quarters. It was reset each time by a tech.

R-106 was serviced Friday, Saturday and Sunday after complaints.

R-116 was out of service at 10:25 p.m. Sunday and fixed by 10:45 p.m.

R-210 went out of service, was reset, failed, and finally placed out of service by the meter tech at 8:55 p.m. Sunday.

R-305 had trouble with one space, was fixed in 20 minutes.